Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Handling


Low Speed Champ.

Whenever I think about handling of Ignitor, it reminds me a quote for legendary boxing champ Mohammad Ali, "Dance like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee."
Very nicely built bike. 130kg of dry weight, not too little, not too much.

Perfect seating position, coupled with proven diamond frame & raised handlebars create almost perfect center of gravity for rider.
Every time I push power start button and release side stand, I lift my both legs and try to balance bike for some seconds and then throttle to race ahead. Frankly, this sounds silly but when you are in market area or busy road jam packed with traffic, riding with 2-3 kmph speed, than this thing becomes a blessing. Specially in rainy season, I hate putting down my feet with formal shoes on roads filled with water & mud. You can easily balance this bike in slowest of speed without touching your feet to the ground.
Also it goes into straight line till 15kmph without hands on the handle.

"Dance like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee":
Now let's talk about little higher speed, say 20-60kmph.
As I said earlier about this bike, "Dance like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee", it really can Dance in city traffic. It's really flicks very nice. You can easily make your path between cars or bigger vehicles. It will be fun to ride to the office when you are late and need little racing right through the city traffic.

Turning radius is good. Also balancing around corners is great. You can trust this bike around corners. But don’t push too hard or you are going to get hurt. It's a great commuter bike with racy intentions, but definitely not a racetrack bike. So understand the limitations of this bike before you go for racing around corners.

On signals, you can easily beat 100cc herd and go for racing with other 125cc bikes like Honda Stunner, shine, Hero Glamour, Yamaha 125ss or even 150cc bikes like CBZExtreme, Unicorn etc. till the next signal only. It races ahead with great energy, good pickup, but don’t try too hard. It sting like a bee, but it’s a medium size bee. Again, let me remind you, it’s a sweet 125 mill made for commuting & occasional adrenaline rush. Don't disrespect this bike by trying to race with big guns.

While riding with a friend of mine, I can't tell if he/she is behind me or not. I just can't feel him/her. While riding my old CD Dawn, I can tell the weight of person sitting behind me without even looking back. Same goes with any other 100cc bikes.

In Ignitor, Even with a pillion rider, balancing remains same. For the record my weight is 70kg and with a pillion rider roughly below 70kg you can enjoy riding without a fuss. Just keep the proper tyre pressure.

Now let's talk about little higher speed, say above 60kmph.
One of the biggest reasons of choosing this bike is its kerb weight of 130kg.
130kg of kerb weight is not too little, not too much. Coupled with my weight, total weight reaches to around 200kg, good for sticking tyres to the ground. It makes riding in highways or rural areas a lot more comfortable.

While riding on highways passing trucks, buses or other big vehicles create an air blast, which shakes small bikes like they are the tail of rattle snake. Riders with 100 cc bikes would understand me. Bajaj Platina riders may have been started crying because of getting emotional on this truth. In a windy season, Driving single on 100cc bikes on highway above 70kmph can throw you in the air if a speedy bus or truck crosses you.

But this baby cuts air like a red hot knife cuts through the butter. Amazing aerodynamic body & specially front cowl design helps in reducing air drag & resistance. The 'A' shape windshield design saves you from getting air blast directly on your face. Also, If you like, you can duck a little bit like racing bike riders to create much better aerodynamics.

I just don’t like air blasting on my face. That’s one of the reason for my dislike for pulsars. The U shape air fender on headlight actually creates a targeted air blow to your face.

130kg weight & wider tyres at back does the rest of the job of keeping this bike in perfect balance. Even at 60-70kmph you can try playing overtaking game. It keeps balance in check & remain calm & composed.

60-70kmph…. Vibrations…? Hell no.
Not even a single shiver in the spine of this daredevil. Till 80kmph, it doesn’t starts breaking the rattling barrier. Above 85kmph you will start feeling vibrations on your knees if your knees trying to crush tank or touching tank shrouds, but still no problem with the balancing. 85-100kmph, vibrations will increase gradually. But they are similar to any other 125cc or 150cc bike in Indian market of commuter bikes segment. Still balancing is good. Nothing to worry.

Above 100kmph…. Well…. I don’t know.
I didn’t tried going above that, as I reached the end of the straight road.
I don’t suggest anyone to go above 100kmph. I just did it once, without a pillion rider, in an open 4 lane highway road to check the bikes handling performance. Even on highways & flyovers, 60-80kmph is enough. You don’t know from where Idiots could come in your way.

For me safety is the biggest thing while driving. I never ever go out without helmet even for drinking tea at nearest chai-tapri. Drive safe. Always use helmet. Someone is always waiting for you at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment